Wednesday, January 27, 2010

It's Nice To Be Nice



Last night, ironically, although I cannot remember what site, while browsing online I had read one of the simplest quotes to tell a child to help them in life and I’d like to say in addition that this quote is also one that adults should listen to as well? It’s so simple, yet so profoundly true.
“It’s nice to be nice.”

Exactly. So why is it so difficult for so many I wonder.

It was late in the afternoon and I had one child left at my center, granted I was exhausted, but nothing more than usual, and this child and I sat down next to one another to color. This sweet, innocent little cutie pie touches my shoulder and with a concerned look, says to me, “Wow…your eyes are old.”
And okay, naturally I laughed and maybe even slightly coughed, out of surprise to her statement as I thought, did she say “Old?”


What in the world possessed this seemingly respectful girl to say such an unflattering, blunt comment? I’ll tell you what. It was her, as I like to call it Kiddism Degree. All children have one. They earned it at birth. They achieved it by receiving laughter and praise from all of the fawning adults in their life who decided that everything that child said was funny. Their degree allows them to say whatever, as long as adults laugh, until school begins or if they have very conscious parenting in the household and their parents, play the teacher role, at which time they learn how not cute and how not appropriate certain things are to say to certain individuals. I guess that’s my job and what I signed up to teach. Oh fun.


This is the part of being a teacher that isn’t as pleasant as being the lovable aunt or uncle who just gets to enjoy a child without having to instill some valuable lesson with every conversation. I know, because I am an Aunt also. And when I play Aunt to my nieces and nephew I do not play the teacher role. It’s a relief. The Aunt job description is so lackadaisical, it’s awesome. Can you believe I am considered the wild, fun Aunt? I suppose I am considered that as a teacher in some ways too, but not always, that’s the difference, because to be a healthy role model and instill values, ethics, morals and prepare a child for the future requires having to not only explain why things are acceptable and why they are not and having to demonstrate ways to speak and listen, the importance of sharing, showing remorse, being respectful, caring, responsible and patient, but also having to behave as the adult.


I must also share what happened earlier in the day:
A very small three year old came to school wearing the cutest apparel; overalls with a belt and the shirt underneath was one of those full body tops that babies wear-where it has three buttons at the crotch. Yay for me, I knew what I would be doing every time that child had to pee.
Say no to belts, overalls and under garments that button at the crotch, people. I understand that these outfits are so cute and just so dang adorable. Resist. Why they were ever invented for young children is beyond me. It just makes them less self sufficient and adds more responsibility to the adult. The only reason we buy these outfits is merely because we like how our child looks in them-They are purely a fashion statement and are absolutely impractical and should be outlawed. 

Thank you to all of those conscious parents who at least resist sending their child in such clothing to school. Honestly only clothing that is, not only alright to get messy in, but easy for a child to remove themselves, is appropriate at school. A child does not need an abundance of accessories at the preschool age anyhow, do they?


Even if a child is very capable of undressing and dressing themselves to go potty, most are not as capable at school, because there are more than just a few kids so there are time constraints. And in the school environment they are so preoccupied and busy at play or following a structured routine whereby they end up either waiting until the last minute to go, not wanting to miss out or they are having to rush because there are other children in line waiting their turn to use the bathroom.


Here’s what to send your child in:
Leggings and T-shirts for girls and elastic wasted pants and t-shirts for boys. Shocking, but I’m not conducting a preschool beauty pageant here.




Question:
Does the typical lunch able have any nutritional value whatsoever? What is in it really? Have you ever read the ingredients for what are in theses products? Go ahead, I’ll be surprised if you can pronounce any of them, because most are completely unrecognizable. That should be a hint that it is more than likely indigestible. Even kids won’t eat the processed orange cheese cubes that come in the snack packs.


Okay, I have said my peace.










No comments:

Post a Comment