Thursday, February 25, 2010

Puppets-A Child's Aphrodisiac


This week a couple of children were out on vacation and a few others were merely out sick- no surprise, it is head cold season. Wait a minute, in a child’s world, when isn’t it head cold season? Hate to be so vivid, but kids are constant balls of congestion and phlegm. Luckily this week I had half the normal amount of phlegm ridden students; between six and eight children arrived each day, which made the day productive and fun - I had forgotten that I actually like to teach. I felt like I did when I first started teaching children at age fifteen. I was euphoric and high on the experience of making a difference and enjoying making those special connections with those cute little tiny tots.  It was rewarding.

Rewarding, partly because the little destroyer was one of the ill children and I must admit that his absence made a huge difference to the entire dynamic of the class; there were less injuries (face slaps) less tantrums (from being face slapped) and less time outs (from slapping others) Are you sort of getting that the little destroyer’s ammunition is to face slap? It is what he is known for.

And with him not at school, I didn’t once have to reach for a Tums antacid. I was surprisingly able to teach complete lessons without being consistently interrupted, and while reading a story I was able to even hear the sound of my own voice - a shocking new experience for me. So shocking that my eyes almost welled up with tears from the excitement I felt, at finally being heard, even if not quite understood. 

I was able to even use puppetry; a child's aphrodisiac, without my hand being personally demolished. Typically the kids would charge towards me behaving overly ecstatic and attempt to squeeze-hug my hand to death. After all, puppets are real, you know. 

Have you ever witnessed a child’s reaction to a puppet? They totally see it as a separate entity to the hand attached to the body. It is quite remarkable how possessed they become watching a puppet talk. They look at the puppet with the same wide eyed expression as if seeing a six week old puppy. They want to pet it and squeeze it. And when it talks or tries to kiss, tickle or chase them, they become giddy, even intensely focused on the puppets reaction to everything they do, as if it is very real. This is why there is no denying that children are more emotionally and personally affected by television than adults.  It has been documented that at the preschool age it is often difficult for them to distinguish between reality and fantasy. If something inanimate on television seems very real, than why wouldn't a puppet?

The blessing with having such a small group so far this week, is that it is just naturally more manageable; they were able to stay calm and actually take turns squeeze hugging the life out of my right hand cow puppet. My poor hand has been through so much, I am sure if it could speak it would whine and probably punch me in the face; to express its anger from the major physical and emotional trauma I've put it through.

I was amazed that the entire class was able to sit still and listen to Mister Cow sing, tell jokes and be silly without getting out of control. They all controlled their instinct to engage in rough play with my puppet and the experience was way more pleasurable than normal, and I believe I can speak for Mister hand as well.

I am so grateful for this week up through today, as I know it’s important to appreciate the little blessings life brings, especially when they are unexpected. There is still one more day to go in the week, and I fear it is almost guaranteed that the little destroyer will return as well as the other children who have been out, but instead of preparing for the worse, I plan to remain focused on the positive days prior and perhaps take a moment to kneel beside my bed and pray for a miracle to occur.  Can't hurt, right? 

Until Then.

For now, it’s off to get the best nights sleep I have had in a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment